My name is Kirill Grouchnikov and I am a user interface engineer. I have been doing client side development professionally since 1999 in a variety of UI toolkits and libraries that spanned Motif, MFC, VB, Ada, Delphi, Swing and SWT. Since late 2009 I work at Google on the Android team.
Want to get in touch? You can reach me at [firstname] dot [lastname] at [gmail] dot [com] if you can figure out the secret encoding of the email address. I’m also on Google+. Technically I’m still on Twitter, but that’s been dormant for a while now.
Presentations – Android
- Udacity 2015 – Talking about Google Play Store app. Part 1 and Part 2 videos.
- Google I/O 2014 – “Going responsive with the Google Play Apps Suite” with Marco Paglia. Video recording.
- AnDevCon III 2012 – “Responsive Mobile Design in Practice”. PDF slidedeck.
- AnDevCon II 2011 – “Responsive Mobile Design”. PDF slidedeck.
- AnDevCon I 2011 – “Designing for the Mobile Form Factor”. PDF slidedeck.
Conference presentations – others
- JavaOne 2009 – “Flamingo: Bringing the Ribbon Component to Swing”. PDF slidedeck.
- EclipseCon 2009 – “On The Shoulders of Giants: Harnessing the Power of Eclipse Enterprise Ecosystem”. PDF slidedeck.
- JavaOne 2008 – “High Resolution Monitors” with Mike Swingler of Apple. PDF slidedeck.
- OSCON 2007 – “Advanced Effects in Java Desktop Applications”. PDF slidedeck.
- JavaOne 2007 – “Bringing Life to Swing Desktop Applications” with Alexander Potochkin of Sun and moderator of the “Next-Generation UI Elements for Swing Applications” birds of feather. PDF slidedeck
- DesktopMatters 2007 – “Swing Effects”. PDF slidedeck.
- JavaOne 2005 – co-presenter on birds of feather that introduced Web Services & XML community at java.net. My part was on the jaxb-workshop project (see below).
Inactive open source projects
Major projects (historical snapshots hosted on GitHub):
- Flamingo – ribbon component for Swing applications
- Substance– a cross-platform look-and-feel for Swing applications. Includes
- Plugin for SwingX components
- Plugin for Flamingo components
- Trident – animation library for Java applications. Includes
- Onyx animation blueprints for Swing
- Amber media trend analysis
Minor projects (historical snapshots hosted on GitHub):
- Laf Plugin – support for third-party components in look-and-feel libraries
- Laf Widget – support for common “feel” widgets in look-and-feel libraries
- LightBeam – performance benchmark for Swing look-and-feel libraries
- Rainbow – SVG file viewer that illustrates various animation, transition and translucency techniques.
- BindMark – a comparative benchmark for Java XML binding frameworks and libraries
- Checkers – a collection of Checkers games
- Ixent – a framework for non-photorealistic rendering
- JAXB Workshop – a collection of tools for JAXB 2.0 including Eclipse and IDEA plugins for XJC
- Matrix rain – Matrix screensaver for Swing apps
- Strider – ripple effects for Swing applications.
- Trellis – a collection of Tetris-inspired games
- XSOM – XML Schema Object Model (part of JAXB 2.0). I was a small-time contributor.